Recovery Info

Public Transportation in the Rockaways

Subway Shuttle to Run in the Rockaways

Q22 and Q113 are running on a limited basis within the Rockaways.

A trains are scheduled to re-open November 11, 2012 to Howard Beach, and from there a shuttle to Mott Avenue is available.

The Q52 and Q53 are running from the Rockaway Blvd Station off the A train into the Rockaways.

Q53 bus detoured in both directions at the Cross Bay Blvd. Detour as follows:

  • Southbound via Cross bay Blvd, go over Cross Bay Bridge, get off at the Riis Avenue exit to Beach Channel Drive, left on 119 Street to Newport Avenue, left on Newport Avenue to 116 Street, left on 116 Street and regular route.
  • Northbound via 116 Street, right onto Beach Channel Drive to Cross Bay Bridge, get on Bridge then and regular route.

A ferry to Manhattan begins on Monday, November 12. Ferries will depart from Beach 108th Street and Beach Channel Drive, where the Economic Development Corporation has been working to install a temporary landing, and stop at Pier 11 in Lower Manhattan with free transfers between Pier 11 and East 34th Street in Midtown. The service will start at 5:45 AM in the Rockaways with ferries departing for Manhattan regularly until 9:20 AM, with regular service resuming during the evening rush. One-way fares will be $2.

School Relocation and Transport

Relocated and Host Schools for the Rockaways – Download or view information about school relocation, by grade, along with the address of the host school and transportation options.

Department of Education School Relocation Fact Sheet

Travel Reimbursement Form (English) – Download a Microsoft Word file to reimburse certain travel costs to and from school for Pre-K to 8th grade.

Information for Renters

Post-Sandy Landlord-Tenant Questions and Answers About Your Apartments

A Guide to When to Pay Rent, or Not, After Hurricane Sandy

Making FEMA claims Online or by Phone

You can register for FEMA assistance by calling 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) or visiting (or from a smartphone or Web-enabled device).

There is never a fee to apply for FEMA disaster assistance or to receive it.  There is no fee for FEMA or U.S. Small Business Administration property damage inspections. Please be aware: Government workers will never ask for a fee or payment. They wear a photo ID. Watch out for middlemen who promise you will receive money, especially if they ask for an up-front payment.

One of the dire consequences of any disaster for many people is the loss of important documents. Often, such documents are needed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and state emergency services in order to process assistance applications for those who suffered losses or damage to their homes and belongings.

If papers are lost – like birth certificates, Social Security cards, drivers’ licenses, tax records and so on – you can receive replacements by contacting the following:

  • Birth certificates: If you were born within the confines of the five boroughs of New York City, visit or write to the Office of Vital Records, 125 Worth Street, Room 133, New York, N.Y. 10013. (A photo ID is required both by mail and in person.) The office advises the fastest way to get records is online at The phone number is (212) 788-4520.  To download and print an application, log onto ; to apply online, log onto If you were born in New York state outside of New York City, log onto or phone 1-877-854-4481. This will connect you to a company called VitalChek, which is contracted with the state to handle credit-card orders. There are modest fees involved.
  • Drivers’ licenses: Visit any New York Department of Motor Vehicles office. To find an office nearby, log onto
  • Social Security cards: Call the U.S. Social Security office at 800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time. For TTY users the number is 800-325-0778, or log onto for more information.
  • Federal tax records: Call 800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, or log onto
  • New York state tax records and New York City tax records: Log onto or phone 518-457-5181

For copies of your utility bills, bank records, insurance policies, mortgage payments and the like, call the appropriate firm and speak to a customer-service representative.

Housing for Displaced Families

The City of New York announced its partnership with Airnb to provide free housing to families displaced by Hurricane Sandy. Airnb is a website that allows apartment and property owners all over NYC to rent their places for short-term use. Many Airnb apartment and home owners are now giving back to NYC by providing their places for free. If you know a family displaced due to the Hurricane, spead the word and share the link.

Unemployment Insurance

Federal Disaster Unemployment Benefits – Federal disaster unemployment assistance is now available to all New Yorkers who lost their jobs as a result of Hurricane Sandy. Disaster unemployment benefits are available to provide financial support to anyone who has lost their job and live or work in the Bronx, Kings, New York, Richmond, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester counties. To apply for unemployment benefits or disaster unemployment assistance, those affected by the storm and have lost their job or income should call the Department of Labor’s Telephone Claims Center (TCC) at 1-888-209-8124 by December 3, 2012.

Claimant Extension Date – Because of the loss of power and phone service in the storm impacted areas, many Unemployment Insurance claimants were unable to certify for their weekly benefits. The Department of Labor will extend the date of certification of unemployment benefits for individuals impacted by Hurricane Sandy to November 17, 2012. These individuals will need to call 1-888-209-8124 and speak to an agent to receive benefits for the prior week. If you are unable to access a phone to obtain benefits, individuals can visit any of the agency’s career centers.

Unemployment Assistance for the Self-Employed – View this fact sheet.

Storm Recovery Assistance Scams

View this important link to protect yourself from recovery scams.

Loans for Homeowners and Renters

If you are in a declared disaster area and are the victim of a disaster, you may be eligible for a low-interest rate disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration – even if you don’t own a business. As a homeowner, renter and/or personal-property owner, you may apply to the SBA for a loan to help you recover from a disaster.

Renters and homeowners alike may borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace clothing, furniture, cars or appliances damaged or destroyed in the disaster. Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence to its pre-disaster condition.

The loans may not be used to upgrade homes or make additions unless as required by local building authority/code. Loans may be increased up to 20 percent of the total amount of disaster damage to real estate, as verified by SBA, to make improvements that lessen the risk of property damage by future disasters of the same kind.

Secondary homes or vacation properties are not eligible for these loans. However, qualified rental properties may be eligible for assistance under our business loan program.

Any proceeds from insurance coverage on your property or home will be deducted from the total damage to the property to determine the loan amount you are eligible for. SBA is not permitted to duplicate any benefits.

For applicants unable to obtain credit elsewhere the interest rate will not exceed 4 percent. For those who can obtain credit elsewhere, the interest rate will not exceed 8 percent. SBA determines whether an applicant has credit available elsewhere.

SBA offers loans with long-term repayments in many cases up to 30 years. Terms are determined on a case-by-case basis, based upon each borrower’s ability to repay.

For additional information, please contact our Customer Service Center. Call 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 1-800-877-8339) or e-mail

Homeowner Insurance

The NYS Department of Financial Services urges homeowners who experienced property losses to file insurance claims with their insurers promptly and as soon as possible after losses occur. It is important to provide policy numbers and all information relevant to the loss. To best document losses, homeowners should to take photos or videos showing the extent of the losses before cleaning up damage.

Homeowners should make only necessary repairs to prevent further damage to property, like covering broken windows. Permanent repairs should not be made until after insurers have inspected losses. Damaged personal property should be kept until after an insurance settlement has been reached.

In addition, homeowners should cooperate fully with their insurer and keep a diary of all conversations with the insurance agent, including the agent’s name, as well as the times and dates of all calls or visits.

Homeowners are also reminded that flood damage is only covered by flood insurance, which is a federal program administered by FEMA. Homeowners who have flood insurance and have flood damage should make claims through that insurance.

DFS will be sending its mobile command center to hard hit areas to help consumers with insurance questions and problems.

DFS has activated a Disaster Hotline to answer consumer questions and help with problems. The Disaster Hotline number is 800-339-1759. It is staffed Monday – Friday from 8 AM – 8 PM and Saturday – Sunday from 9 AM – 4 PM.

Homeowners unable to resolve disputes with insurers can file complaints at

SNAP Benefits Replacement & Recertification

Current recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, formerly known as Food Stamps, in areas hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy will automatically receive 50 percent of their October monthly SNAP benefit amount the week of November 5 to replace food lost as a result of the storm. The benefits are being automatically issued to SNAP recipients in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, Sullivan and Westchester counties, as well as at least 82 zip codes in New York City, including all of Staten Island. Additional zip codes in New York City that experienced extended power loss may be added as more details about the number of households affected becomes available. The updated list can be found here:

Other current SNAP recipient households that have lost food purchased with SNAP benefits due to Hurricane Sandy are also entitled to replacement benefits. The loss must be reported by Wednesday, November 28, 2012, and the household must return a signed and completed form, found at, by close of business on Monday, December 10, 2012. New York City residents should use this version of the form: form is also available at local Department of Social Services offices. You can find the location of your local Department of Social Services by calling the toll-free New York State Temporary Assistance Hotline at 1-800-342-3009.

New York City and Nassau, Rockland, Suffolk, Westchester, Orange, Putnam and Sullivan Counties may now also extend certification periods for SNAP households that are set to expire in October and November by one month. These extensions will help ensure that households unable to recertify at this time due to Hurricane Sandy do not lose access to SNAP benefits. This will also ease the administrative burden faced by the impacted local departments of social services that are recovering from the disaster.

Households whose certification periods are extended through November will have until the end of November to complete recertification; those whose certification periods are extended through December will have until the end of December. New York State and the impacted counties will be informing clients of the certification period extension via public notices.

SNAP recipients in New York City and Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, Sullivan and Westchester counties will be able to use their benefits to purchase hot foods and prepared foods, in recognition of the fact that so many New Yorkers lost power or have been relocated as a result of the storm and are unable to store food or have access to cooking facilities. Normally, federal regulations do not allow the purchase of these items with SNAP benefits. The food must be purchased at authorized retailers, like grocery stores, that already accept EBT. The U.S. Department of Agriculture granted a request for a waiver from New York State for this requirement that is effective immediately and expires November 30, 2012.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s